pgn4web testing thread

Forum-related questions, complaints and discussion...
Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

pgn4web testing thread

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 am

This thread is for reports of strange behavior, bugs or satisfaction while testing prototype pgn4web software. Have it it.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Re: pgn4web testing thread

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 am

My first comment (other than that I miss the coords and side-to-move indicators and intend to reimplement them) is that the variations should be colored differently from comments, so that it's easy to see at a glance that they are "live".

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:My first comment (other than that I miss the coords and side-to-move indicators and intend to reimplement them) is that the variations should be colored differently from comments, so that it's easy to see at a glance that they are "live".
Good point, you might want to replace board.html with the updated one at
http://pgn4web.devio.us/pgn4web/board.html

This allows setting a separate color for variations, see for example:
http://tinyurl.com/7z9m7e5

You have to change the pgn tag definition, adding to board.html the parameter &fvch=fvch=FF0000 (replacing fvch=FF0000 with the color of your choice).

For "technical reasons" you will see that only the variation moves are colored differently, while the move numbers still have the comments color (while for the main line is slightly different), hope this is acceptable.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:46 pm

pgn4web wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:My first comment (other than that I miss the coords and side-to-move indicators and intend to reimplement them) is that the variations should be colored differently from comments, so that it's easy to see at a glance that they are "live".
Good point, you might want to replace board.html with the updated one at
http://pgn4web.devio.us/pgn4web/board.html

This allows setting a separate color for variations, see for example:
http://tinyurl.com/7z9m7e5

You have to change the pgn tag definition, adding to board.html the parameter &fvch=fvch=FF0000 (replacing fvch=FF0000 with the color of your choice).

For "technical reasons" you will see that only the variation moves are colored differently, while the move numbers still have the comments color (while for the main line is slightly different), hope this is acceptable.
Got it!

Thanks-
jb

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:45 pm

Another remark, I noticed that a small change in the board.html code might improve the display of some of the chess informant symbols fonts with some browsers, for instance for the "xxx has a slight advantage marks"
e4 e6 d4 $14 d5 $15 e5 c5 c3
In the recommended URL you have now

Code: Select all

&fhs=80p
and

&fms=80p
The new recommendation will be

&fhs=14
and

&fms=14
This make the font slightly bigger and the whole setup more resilent.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:20 pm

pgn4web wrote:Another remark, I noticed that a small change in the board.html code might improve the display of some of the chess informant symbols fonts with some browsers, for instance for the "xxx has a slight advantage marks"
In the recommended URL you have now

&fhs=80p
and

&fms=80p
The new recommendation will be

&fhs=14
and

&fms=14
This make the font slightly bigger and the whole setup more resilent.
Thanks for the tip. Done.

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:53 am

The size of the text moves in the game seems too big, compare them to the sizes in the posts's text:

Could it pick up the size of the Forum Style's font so more moves fit in the lines?

Uly

Post by Uly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 am

Also, this used to work yesterday while today it seems... broken.

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Uly wrote:The size of the text moves in the game seems too big, compare them to the sizes in the posts's text:

Could it pick up the size of the Forum Style's font so more moves fit in the lines?
It is not able to detect the font size from the forum. It has to be a fixed number.
It's configurable, but any size less than 14 makes some of the chess informant symbols hard to read, see for example the "black has a slight advantage" symbol, this depends on the quality of the font used.

There is another option, to use a second font for the symbols, in general it's less good that the default one, but does not degrade that much at size 13 or less. To switch the font, Jeremy needs to change the file board.html where it says

<script src="chess-informant-NAG-symbols.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
you can make it

<script src="chess-informant-NAG-symbols-alternative.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
...Jeremy's choice...

pgn4web

Post by pgn4web » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Uly wrote:Also, this used to work yesterday while today it seems... broken.

This is because Jeremy is testing a beta version of the original pgn4web code that adds variation support but does not have few of the other customizations that Jeremy added in his version for this forum. No worries, once the beta testing is over, Jeremy will likely reapply those customizations... I had to refrain myself from doing something to prevent coordinates to be displayed around the chessboard, but I finally did not :D

What we want to make sure with the beta testing is that my new code for variation support works as it should.