Post edit time

Forum-related questions, complaints and discussion...
Uly

Post edit time

Post by Uly » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 pm

I think the post edit time is too short, this has already been discussed at another computer forum but I think OpenChess is a lot more flexible :)

My currently perceived problem is when one has to post and leave the computer, so one doesn't have time to check the message for mistakes. Once one comes backs and checks the message, it's too late to modify it.

Problems mentioned about having a longer post edit limit is members getting angry with the forum and deleting all their messages, so I'm proposing a 48 hours limit, that should be long enough and short enough to avoid this problem.

Another problem was "editing the post to make other people look like idiots", that is, posting something, awaiting for someone to reply, and then changing it to something else, so the reply to the message doesn't follow. But it's a problem I've never seen happening (I've never seen someone doing that on purpose). We could just post that that's not allowed and case solved.

What do you think?

Gerold

Re: Post edit time

Post by Gerold » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Ovyron wrote:I think the post edit time is too short, this has already been discussed at another computer forum but I think OpenChess is a lot more flexible :)

My currently perceived problem is when one has to post and leave the computer, so one doesn't have time to check the message for mistakes. Once one comes backs and checks the message, it's too late to modify it.

Problems mentioned about having a longer post edit limit is members getting angry with the forum and deleting all their messages, so I'm proposing a 48 hours limit, that should be long enough and short enough to avoid this problem.

Another problem was "editing the post to make other people look like idiots", that is, posting something, awaiting for someone to reply, and then changing it to something else, so the reply to the message doesn't follow. But it's a problem I've never seen happening (I've never seen someone doing that on purpose). We could just post that that's not allowed and case solved.

What do you think?
I think the time should stay short. Some folks do bait others and then change their post. I have seen it happen often.
Also you can always make another post to correct one.
A little O.T. but we also have a few that will twist around a persons post to make it sound diff. These guys are real funny.

Best,
Gerold.

Uly

Re: Post edit time

Post by Uly » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:21 am

We shouldn't allow that behavior at all, in principle, we could lengthen the limit and see who does that and get rid of them, do we want malicious people on the forum anyway?