Facts only please....

General discussion about computer chess...
Peter C

Re: Facts only please....

Post by Peter C » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:28 pm

yanquis1972 wrote: i do wonder however, if the ippolit authors were so brilliant, why in over a year they've made no real improvement in pure strength. that's a tough one to wrap my head around if i assume that it's not a clone or derivative of R3.
They've added at least 50 elo, plus made it far more stable, plus added Multi-PV and searchmoves, plus added SMP (albeit the original Iggorit SMP was pretty wimpy). That's quite a bit of work, especially since this is a free engine. Vas hasn't even done that much in 2 years. (Though he's probably added more than 50 elo to R3, but saved it for rental. Still, that's because he didn't have to worry about things like SMP.)

Peter

yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:32 pm

they have added SMP; i almost made an exception for that. but in terms of actual tinkering with the source chess engine, what i presume is the code they wrote, i don't think anything has been done other than things like cleanup to get it to run faster. i mean, on Immortal everyone is obsessed with the dozens of different -compiles-, to see which one is 'strongest'. the root doesn't change at all, even if elo is 'added', either by slightly better speed or what have you.

hope you see my point; as i said i'm not a programmer but aside from what i consider basics in contemporary chess programming (SMP, search moves [ot -- does this mean it works in IDeA?? because they didn't last i checked], mpv) i don't see it. the 50 elo is much better time management, not crashing, faster compiles, some code cleanup. not what i consider a smarter chess engine. mostly, a chess engine that will be 50 elo better in engine-engine matches. i'm just not terribly interested in that & to me, after a while (for me it was months ago, shortly after 63 was released) it stops being progress & just gets tiresome.

robert houdart is the only person i can think of who seems to have taken the ippolit code and tried (& apparently succeeded) to improve upon it at its root in some places (i'm pretty sure the search is no better), instead of just dressing it up prettier. unfortunately, if this is the case, he sadly denies it.

JcMaTe

Post by JcMaTe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:19 pm

hope you see my point; as i said i'm not a programmer
if you are not a programmer let the programmer discuss technical issues , just do like i do enjoy the engines if i don't like the way they play then look for another one !

yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:38 pm

im not sure really what the point is. i'm not discussing anything technical; simply saying that given ippolit's incredible strength i would think it would have incredible potential which we're unfortunately not seeing fulfilled (imo), as most -- if not all -- involved are more interested in playing dress up with it.

as i said, while it was my main engine for quite awhile & i looked forward to the new releases, i haven't been using ippolit much for some time now because of the stagnation. so advice already taken. :)

Hood

Post by Hood » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:27 pm

What facts ? There are words, mostly.
Someone has told sth, someone has believed, someone not. No evidence, gossips and banning on that reason.
rgds Hood
Smolensk 2010. Murder or accident... Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programms. There are programms with undiscovered bugs.
Alleluia.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:14 am

Here is my (opinionated) take on Rybka and IPPOLIT over the past year(s).

First, Rybka is a full-time project, while with IPPOLIT one can only guess (I personally think it might be one main guy who writes in his free time, with maybe one or two other trusted confidants). On the other hand, VR spent a lot of time with the cluster instead of just with Rybka 4. [On the third hand, I'm not quite sure one can really be a "fulltime" chess programmer, spending 30+ hours per week actually doing strength improvements, as the time to test ideas usually outweighs the time spent to implement them]. Over May 2009-2010, it seems that IPPOLIT cleaned up their code a lot (though my guess is that some of this was already done by May 2009, and the IPP_ENG.C was the end-result of some pre-processing), added pondering, multipv, SMP, RobboBases, a randomiser, and fixed various bugs. It also spawned "me-too" versions that had various slight improvements (like time management), and/or allowed more user control via UCI options. The latest version claims to have gained 10 rating points at bullet (I see new "LMR" variables floating around the code, so maybe that is from where this purported gain comes).

The final chapter on Rybka 4 is not written yet, as there might be an update. Here is my idea of what has gone bad, which might be completely wrong. I describe my thought process. Many people report large (25+ ELO) gains from fiddling with the time management of Rybka 4, especially the "TC Max Move" variable. This seems odd to me, as usually if you set a MaxTime variable to anything within reasonable bounds, the change is not that much. However, if you are constantly hitting the "Max" time (more than just a few times per game), this could explain such large variances, especially when you "finish the ply" in time management like Rybka does... There is also the "large-branching" factor that many people have observed. So: my guess is that the "large-branching" is occurring in games, but that it is "hidden" because the "Max Move" variable tourniquets the branching before it explodes too much. If this is correct (and I certainly take it with a grain of salt), then fixing the large-branching problem (if indeed VR decides this a really a "bug") would also allow a more sensible "Max Move" setting. As I noted it a couple of other places, testing with "go movetime" could be better to determine the true "analysis strength" of programmes, as time management would then not be a factor.

Hmm, I guess this post doesn't exactly fit the thread of "Facts only", but so be it.

Uly

Post by Uly » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 am

The big branching factor problem and the "stall" bug are separate issues (I'd expect the fix of the latter to not affect the former).

Peter C

Post by Peter C » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:07 pm

yanquis1972 wrote:they have added SMP; i almost made an exception for that. but in terms of actual tinkering with the source chess engine, what i presume is the code they wrote, i don't think anything has been done other than things like cleanup to get it to run faster. i mean, on Immortal everyone is obsessed with the dozens of different -compiles-, to see which one is 'strongest'. the root doesn't change at all, even if elo is 'added', either by slightly better speed or what have you.

hope you see my point; as i said i'm not a programmer but aside from what i consider basics in contemporary chess programming (SMP, search moves [ot -- does this mean it works in IDeA?? because they didn't last i checked], mpv) i don't see it. the 50 elo is much better time management, not crashing, faster compiles, some code cleanup. not what i consider a smarter chess engine. mostly, a chess engine that will be 50 elo better in engine-engine matches. i'm just not terribly interested in that & to me, after a while (for me it was months ago, shortly after 63 was released) it stops being progress & just gets tiresome.

robert houdart is the only person i can think of who seems to have taken the ippolit code and tried (& apparently succeeded) to improve upon it at its root in some places (i'm pretty sure the search is no better), instead of just dressing it up prettier. unfortunately, if this is the case, he sadly denies it.
Yeah, in theory it works in IDeA. I don't have Aquarium so I can't test it though. Aquarium tends not to like Ippo UCI handling. I think they rewrote the UCI parser in 999957 though.

50 elo is 50 elo. And they couldn't work on the base code because they were busy adding SMP etc. Would you rather have an engine with the world's best search and eval that only runs on single core, is practically useless for analysis, and crashes frequently, or an engine with a slightly worse search and eval, but SMP, rock solid (newer Ivans have never crashed on me), and capable of analysis stuff like Multi-PV and (theoretically) IDeA?

Meh, you're right about the Immoral people. Every 200 or so compiles though it tends to gain about 10 elo.... :roll:

Peter

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:29 am

Every 200 or so compiles though it tends to gain about 10 elo.... :roll:
I seem to recall that Chess Base made a comment: The process is very incremental – there have been more than 3000 unique Rybka versions, each playing differently, since Rybka 3.
So by your compiles/elo metric, did it gain 150 ELO? :lol:

Lostark

Post by Lostark » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:34 am

Fact is -
R4 is a good improvement as far as a dress change is concerned.

As an engine I have my deepest respect for it but as far as Vas's customer relation policies are concerned I have my reservations.
So when we talk about R4 let's not allow any any programmer-bias to creep in when we present our arguments/opinions...

That is why I am hesitating to spend on R4 yet (for no fault of R4); its my personal opinion tho'

Thx.