IPPOLIT

General discussion about computer chess...
kingliveson

IPPOLIT

Post by kingliveson » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:28 pm

There seems to be confusion as to what is IPPOLIT and its derivatives.

RobboLito, Igorrit, and IvanHoe are not IPPOLIT derivatives; they are IPPOLIT.
The engine began as IPPOLIT, a single processor chess engine, then RobboLito which added tablebases support, to Igorrit, the first multi-processor support, and today, IvanHoe, which has a host of features such as multi-pv, monte-carlo, Chess960, etc.

These are some known IPPOLIT derivatives:

Code: Select all

Armageddon
DeepSaros/Vitruvius
Fire/FireBird
Houdini
PAWN : Knight >> Bishop >> Rook >>Queen

LucenaTheLucid

Re: IPPOLIT

Post by LucenaTheLucid » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Code: Select all

Armageddon
DeepSaros/Vitruvius
Fire/FireBird
Houdini
Thought it was pretty well known that Ippolit turned into Iggorit -> Robbolito -> Ivanhoe. I guess there can still be some confusion.

Damir's Rybka Killer is the only other one I can think of at the moment. Perhaps you could add Strelka(arrow) to that list.

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 pm

LucenaTheLucid wrote: Thought it was pretty well known that Ippolit turned into Iggorit -> Robbolito -> Ivanhoe. I guess there can still be some confusion.
I thought so too, but after reading some recent comments on talkchess, that proved otherwise. Also, http://computer-chess.org/doku.php?id=c ... ngine_list, a great computer chess resource site, has the information incorrect. They correctly have the project code names (RobboLito, Igorrit, and IvanHoe) under IPPOLIT, but wrongly listed as forks. It would be better for each derivative (Armageddon, DeepSaros/Vitruvius, Fire/FireBird, etc.) to have its own section and noted as such -- just as they have done for Houdini.

I have entered a Wikipedia entry for IPPOLIT. It still needs some work -- features, derivatives (?), controversy, etc. Some of those topics initially discussed on talkchess are now hidden to the public, and unusable, thanks to Il Duce Graham Banks.

MoldyJacket

Post by MoldyJacket » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 pm

+500 for your work and initial Wikipedia entry!
This is the first place many look for unbiased (hopefully) information on any subject.
Nominal Quoting Fanboy

Uly

Post by Uly » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:07 am

Other known derivatives of Ippolit (or some branch of Ippolit):

Tankist, Toby and Tactico.

ernest

Post by ernest » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:37 am

Uly wrote:Other known derivatives of Ippolit (or some branch of Ippolit):
...and Tactico.
Tactico is nothing else than hexedited Houdini 1.03a

Are hexedited derivatives worth mentioning? ;)

Uly

Post by Uly » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:25 am

Yes, otherwise how would people know about their status?

I recall there was someone who told karakaniec about Tactico's status over and over.

So if there are other hex edited derivatives, we want to know.

Ron Murawski

Post by Ron Murawski » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:08 pm

kingliveson wrote:
LucenaTheLucid wrote: Thought it was pretty well known that Ippolit turned into Iggorit -> Robbolito -> Ivanhoe. I guess there can still be some confusion.
I thought so too, but after reading some recent comments on talkchess, that proved otherwise. Also, http://computer-chess.org/doku.php?id=c ... ngine_list, a great computer chess resource site, has the information incorrect. They correctly have the project code names (RobboLito, Igorrit, and IvanHoe) under IPPOLIT, but wrongly listed as forks. It would be better for each derivative (Armageddon, DeepSaros/Vitruvius, Fire/FireBird, etc.) to have its own section and noted as such -- just as they have done for Houdini.
Thanks for the nice words about the Computer-Chess Wiki. Norbert and I spend a lot of time keeping the site up to date. I will do my best to fix the ippolit entry and make it as accurate as possible.

I recently became aware that Houdini was Robbolito with some changes. At the Computer-Chess Wiki I have been seriously considering listing Houdini under the Ippolit banner. I have no idea how to best list Ippolit and its descendants. Maybe you can help me sort out all of its descendants, and which engines deserve separate listings and which do not, and what comments/notes to add to each of them. If you are interested in helping me on this, you can pm me or email me at:
ron _at_ computer-chess _dot_ org

Thanks!

Ron

kingliveson

Post by kingliveson » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:59 am

@Ron Murawski

Thanks for yours and Norbert's work on Computer-Chess Wiki -- it is definitely great service to the computer chess community. Let me address the request here just in case there's misstatement, it can be corrected.

IPPOLIT: Own entry. The Latest Version field should read IvanHoe plus version, which currently is 999946h. The comments, "There are many forks of the Ippolit codebase: RobboLito, Igorrit, IvanHoe, Fire, Deep Saros, etc." should be replaced with something like 'IPPOLIT successor project codenames: RobboLito, Igorrit, and IvanHoe.' Also, "Linux 32" should be Linux 32/64. Derivatives listed under Alternate Download should be moved to their own entries.

Houdini: Own entry. The code-base began from RobboLito; it is not an opinion or speculation, but statement of fact. Comments "a Robbolito clone with improvements " should be changed to 'an IPPOLIT, RobboLito derivative' -- just as Sting is to Stockfish.

Fire: Own entry. Firebird became Fire due to a trademark naming conflict. Fire is for Windows only, supporting both 32-bit/64-bit architectures. It is an IPPOLIT, IvanHoe derivative. The source was initially closed, then released, but it appears to have been closed again.

Deep Saros: Own entry. On the official website, it states: Deep Saros is renewed with the version "Vitruvius"! The Latest Version field should read Vitruvius plus version. The binaries in the package provided are for 32-bit/64-bit Windows and 64-bit Linux. It is an IPPOLIT, IvanHoe derivative.

Armageddon: Own entry. 32-bit Windows only. Based on Fire; an IPPOLIT, IvanHoe derivative.

As for Tankist and Toby, I dont really have much information on those. With regards to Tactico, which many have said to be hex-edited Houdini, it does not belong on the Chess Engine List -- the behaviour should not be encouraged.

Hope this helps...

Ron Murawski

Post by Ron Murawski » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:16 am

@kingliveson

I will modify the Chess Engine List as you suggest. I hope to make the changes tomorrow.

Question: Do Ippolit and Igorrit belong on my 'Dead Engine List'? (If no further work will be done to those codebases, then they meet my definition as 'dead'.)

Thank you for the information!

Ron