Glaurung Chess (Ipod)

General discussion about computer chess...
Ted Summers

Re: Glaurung Chess (Ipod)

Post by Ted Summers » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:23 am

Tord wrote:
Ted Summers wrote:More to the point where can I find the "Glaurung Server" app? I went to http://www.glaurungchess.com/ but the app is not there.

Thanks
The app appeared on the App Store too fast, before I had time to react and update my web page. :D

I have updated the web page now. Unfortunately, I still don't have binaries of the server for all platforms. For now, only Mac OS X and 32-bit WIndows are supported (and the 32-bit Windows binary does not work in 64-bit Windows). Binaries for the other major platforms will be available in the near future, probably this weekend.

Instructions about how to set up the remote server are included in the Readme.txt file in the download.
I will keep checking back for the 64-bit windows and Linux versions. ;)
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Cubeman

Post by Cubeman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:49 am

Has any one got results of speed up when using the latest iphone4.Currently I am testing on an ipod touch version2 and from the opening position for white when set to analyse it starts off at about 11 kN/s and when left on longer it peaks out at 14.3kN/s.

Cubeman

Post by Cubeman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:07 am

Silly question, as iphone 4 not released to public till end of July.What about ipad speed results, I think ipad has same processor as iphone 4.

Taner Altinsoy

Post by Taner Altinsoy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:04 am

Cubeman wrote:Silly question, as iphone 4 not released to public till end of July.What about ipad speed results, I think ipad has same processor as iphone 4.
Same processor less ram.

Tord

Post by Tord » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:51 am

Cubeman wrote:Silly question, as iphone 4 not released to public till end of July.
This is wrong -- the iPhone 4 has indeed been released to public. It just isn't available in all countries yet.
What about ipad speed results, I think ipad has same processor as iphone 4.
It does, but it seems likely that the CPU in the iPhone 4 has been clocked a little lower. As far as I know, Apple hasn't said anything of the clock frequency of the iPhone 4 CPU, so this is all speculation.

iPad speed results would have been interesting, but unfortunately they are impossible to obtain at the moment. Glaurung 2 requires iOS 4, which won't be available for the iPad before some time in the autumn. I hope to have an iPad compatible version ready some time soon.

atinm

Post by atinm » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Tord, I am seeing random crashes with Glaurung 2 on my iPod 2nd generation running iOS4. Running the same code in the iPhone simulator doesn't seem to crash so I am having trouble debugging this (glad you made this open source!). Hoping to hit a crash one of these times while running in the simulator so I can send a more intelligent bug report!

My real goal for getting into the code was to add a "load PGN file from off device" capability to the Glaurung UI because I want to use the program as a way to load a file of tactical problems saved as individual games in a PGN file and then use it to practice solving tactics problems. I am able to load a file of PGNs onto the device (my iPod is jailbroken), but it is still a little painful not to be able to just say "load next game" when the PGN has between 500-1000 positions to solve as I have to solve a problem, load new game, go down the list of "games" in the file and then pick the next one each time. You aren't already working on this are you?

Thanks,

-Atin

Tord

Post by Tord » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:54 pm

atinm wrote:Tord, I am seeing random crashes with Glaurung 2 on my iPod 2nd generation running iOS4. Running the same code in the iPhone simulator doesn't seem to crash so I am having trouble debugging this (glad you made this open source!). Hoping to hit a crash one of these times while running in the simulator so I can send a more intelligent bug report!
Thanks for the effort. I've exchanged several e-mails this weekend exchanging e-mails with a user who experiences frequent crashes and illegal moves (so often that the program is completely unusable), and I've spent hours today experimenting with precisely the settings he uses, and not seen any sort of problems (neither on my phone nor in the simulator). It's tremendously frustrating.

It would be nice if some other users could also chime in with their experiences, even if they don't see any problems. I would like to see how widespread the instability problems are.
My real goal for getting into the code was to add a "load PGN file from off device" capability to the Glaurung UI because I want to use the program as a way to load a file of tactical problems saved as individual games in a PGN file and then use it to practice solving tactics problems. I am able to load a file of PGNs onto the device (my iPod is jailbroken),
I'm a little confused here -- export and import of PGN files is one of the major new features of Glaurung 2, and does not require a jailbroken device. You can just freely copy PGN files between the device and your computer.
but it is still a little painful not to be able to just say "load next game" when the PGN has between 500-1000 positions to solve as I have to solve a problem, load new game, go down the list of "games" in the file and then pick the next one each time. You aren't already working on this are you?
You are right, the interface isn't really designed for handling huge PGN files comfortably. It's possible that I'll improve this some time later, but it currently isn't very high on my priority list.

atinm

Post by atinm » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Tord,

My crash is intermittent, which is why i am having trouble debugging it also - it isn't some known sequence/position that is doing this so it feels like some memory corruption thing (of course . . .).

I saw the "export" of PGN files, but don't see import in Glaurung 2. Maybe I missed the "import" external PGN file somewhere? The Remote Server doesn't seem to have that either, at first I thought maybe the server could serve the PGN files that are sitting on my laptop. From the main screen, I go to Game and then I see the Load Game option which brings up the PGN files in the Game Files folder (Documents folder under Glaurung's application area) which seems to be the games I've saved on the iPhone only, not external PGNs. I copied my PGN of tactics problems into the same folder onto my iPod from the laptop using scp (that's why I needed it to be jailbroken) and was able to Load that file and it does what I want, just the "next game in PGN" button is missing for my purposes. Did I miss how to import an external PGN file?

-Atin

Tord

Post by Tord » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:56 pm

atinm wrote:Hi Tord,

My crash is intermittent, which is why i am having trouble debugging it also - it isn't some known sequence/position that is doing this so it feels like some memory corruption thing (of course . . .).
If we are lucky, it could be the stack overflow bug I fixed a few days ago, which is still present in the version currently on the App Store. It turns out that the default stack size for background threads (like the engine thread in Glaurung) is quite small, and this can cause crashes. I have now found out how to ask for a bigger stack, which seems to solve the problem.
I saw the "export" of PGN files, but don't see import in Glaurung 2. Maybe I missed the "import" external PGN file somewhere?[/quote

Copied from a CCC thread, where I just answered a similar question:

You are not the first person to ask. Apple should probably document this better. There is a standard way to transfer files between iPhone apps and your computer (but it only works for apps which support file sharing, and most apps still don't). It's described on this web page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4094

The instructions are for the iPad, but you do it in exactly the same way for the iPhone.

atinm

Post by atinm » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:16 pm

I didn't know there was a standard way (I did notice that Glaurung was enabled for "file sharing" in iTunes, but it didn't actually register in my brain as meaning drop a PGN there because I've never used file sharing in iTunes before!) - I just did a search on google and of course, found the jailbreak solution for copying files first! I wanted jailbreak anyway because I want to help debug Glaurung 2, add the "next game" button, without having to pay Apple for the dev license just for uploading programs I am debugging or doing for fun to my iPod. Is the stack overflow fixed in the sources on the website - or is there someplace else I should be downloading the latest sources from (svn repository?).

-Atin