POLL: Whether Rybka Is An Original Work?

General discussion about computer chess...

Whether Rybka Is An Original Work?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Yes
18%
No
69%
Do not know
12%

Total votes: 49

Eduard Nemeth

POLL: Whether Rybka Is An Original Work?

Post by Eduard Nemeth » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:23 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Originality

As the computer chess community seems to be hung-up on the definition of clone as is lacks clarity, I will start another poll.

The crux of the issue is: "Whether Rybka Is An Original Work That Is Eligible To Compete in the 2010 WCCC?"

ED.

PS: Vote is 8 days.
Peace be with you!

notyetagm

Re: POLL: Whether Rybka Is An Original Work?

Post by notyetagm » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:46 pm

If I owned the rights to the Fruit source code, I would sue Vas for violating the GPL.

Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:51 pm

What is this "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." that I get in every poll? Does anybody have this problem?

notyetagm

Post by notyetagm » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Mincho Georgiev wrote:What is this "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." that I get in every poll? Does anybody have this problem?
Are you logged in? I assume that you are. Could be a cookie problem or something.

I don't have any problems with the polls on this site.

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Mincho Georgiev wrote:What is this "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." that I get in every poll? Does anybody have this problem?
No problem here.
Aided by engines, GMs can be very strong.
http://www.hylogic.de

notyetagm

Post by notyetagm » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:21 am

Eduard Nemeth wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Originality

As the computer chess community seems to be hung-up on the definition of clone as is lacks clarity, I will start another poll.

The crux of the issue is: "Whether Rybka Is An Original Work That Is Eligible To Compete in the 2010 WCCC?"

ED.

Eduard,

Your detractors cannot have it both ways.

Vas admits to "just looking at" the Fruit source code before creating Rybka 1. You admit to examining the Ippolito source code before creating Houdini.

Yet your detractors claim that Rybka is an original work while at the same time maintain that Houdini is a derived clone.

THAT'S BULLSHIT! DOUBLE STANDARD!!

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:08 am

notyetagm wrote:

ED.

Eduard,

Vas admits to "just looking at" the Fruit source code before creating Rybka 1. You admit to examining the Ippolito source code before creating Houdini.

Yet your detractors claim that Rybka is an original work while at the same time maintain that Houdini is a derived clone.

EN didn't write Houdini...

notyetagm

Post by notyetagm » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:15 am

hyatt wrote:
notyetagm wrote:

ED.

Eduard,

EN didn't write Houdini...
Yes, sorry, should have addressed that rant to Robert Houdart. For some reason I got the Houdini author confused.

Dr. Ivannik

Post by Dr. Ivannik » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:50 am

Gentlemen

Sadly as I go over these posts I notice a lack of useful information/input regarding chess itself. The 3rd round games of the China-Russia match have been posted by Chessbase and The Week in Chess just to name a few. As I analyze the V. Potkin-Zhou Jianchao game, after the inattentive 19...Kh7?! I see beauty in Potkin's sham sacrifice 20.Bb5 resulting in the control of the center, followed by control of the 7th rank and an attack on the king side. This is a game I would hope everyone will look at to improve one's skill in chess. Analyze with Houdini-Rybka-Stockfish-Ippolito family-Fritz-Shredder or any engine you like. Why do you patzers bicker over this clone issue. These engines have been given to man by the Chess Gods to improve your game. The future will see many chess engines appear on line to download that will be super strong by unknown sources. Use them and learn from them is my advice.

Thank you

Dr. Ivannik

Uly

Post by Uly » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:32 am

Dr. Ivannik wrote:This is a game I would hope everyone will look at to improve one's skill in chess.
Several computer chess fans aren't interested in human chess.