Designing an analysis friendly Stockfish?

Code, algorithms, languages, construction...
Prima

Re: Designing an analysis friendly Stockfish?

Post by Prima » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks gaad. Also thanks Uly for initializing this concept and Ingo for the tests. Thanks all.

Peter C

Post by Peter C » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:16 am

Figured I'd contribute my GTB mess into all of this. :)

Stockfish 2.0.1 PA GTB

Sadly as usual I can only make a 32-bit compile, but I'm trying to use Mingw-64 to fix that.

Peter

Prima

Post by Prima » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:15 am

Peter C wrote:Figured I'd contribute my GTB mess into all of this. :)

Stockfish 2.0.1 PA GTB

Sadly as usual I can only make a 32-bit compile, but I'm trying to use Mingw-64 to fix that.

Peter
Peter C, I would love to make 64-bit compiles of your Stockfish. Sadly, for some reason, I can't compile a 64-bit version of your Stockfisht-GTB with my Visual Studio 2010. I keep geting erros still. Make no mistake, I'm sure that it's "something" I'm not doing correctly or "failed" to do to make it compile.

Surprising, Stockfish (and Stockfish PA by gaard), as well as Stockfish derivatives such as Tinapa and Crab 1.0 beta are "straight forward" and easy to compile. I also had no problem compiling Toga 1.4.5e4 and few other clean codes.

Peter C

Post by Peter C » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Prima wrote:

Stockfish 2.0.1 PA GTB

Peter
Peter C, I would love to make 64-bit compiles of your Stockfish. Sadly, for some reason, I can't compile a 64-bit version of your Stockfisht-GTB with my Visual Studio 2010. I keep geting erros still. Make no mistake, I'm sure that it's "something" I'm not doing correctly or "failed" to do to make it compile.

Surprising, Stockfish (and Stockfish PA by gaard), as well as Stockfish derivatives such as Tinapa and Crab 1.0 beta are "straight forward" and easy to compile. I also had no problem compiling Toga 1.4.5e4 and few other clean codes.
You'll first have to compile the GTB library (in src/egtb/) to either a DLL or .lib, and then dynamically (for DLL) or statically (for .lib) link it. I don't really know how to do this in Visual Studio. :(

Peter

fruity

Post by fruity » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:36 pm

I have compared stockfish_201_PA_G against SF default with 6000 ultra fast games (one second per game, no increment).

Result from stockfish_201_PA_G's point of view:

+1822, -1882, =2296

With stockfish_201_PA_G additionally changed to update history and killer moves also in PV case (search.cpp, line 1395)

Code: Select all

// Update killers and history only for non capture moves that fails high
        if (    (bestValue >= beta || vt == VALUE_TYPE_EXACT)
            && !pos.move_is_capture_or_promotion(move))
        {
            update_history(pos, move, depth, movesSearched, moveCount);
            update_killers(move, ss);
        }
I got +1972, -1691, =2337. Again from stockfish_201_PA_G's point of view.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Peter C wrote:
Prima wrote:

Stockfish 2.0.1 PA GTB

Peter

You'll first have to compile the GTB library (in src/egtb/) to either a DLL or .lib, and then dynamically (for DLL) or statically (for .lib) link it. I don't really know how to do this in Visual Studio. :(

Peter
Prima, if you send me your projects (or post them somewhere for me to download), I can do this for you (and write instructions so you know what to do next time).

Jeremy

Prima

Post by Prima » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:
Peter C wrote:
Prima wrote:

Stockfish 2.0.1 PA GTB

Peter

Peter

Prima, if you send me your projects (or post them somewhere for me to download), I can do this for you (and write instructions so you know what to do next time).

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy. I'm definitely going to send you my project/s. It has tormented me day and night. Give me a few hours to reorganize everything.

Prima.

Prima

Post by Prima » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:30 pm

In the meant time, I made a successful PGO MsVS2010 compile of Stockfish 2.01PA, version "G" (by gaard, et al). 64-bit only.
Attachments
Stockfish-2.0.1PA(G)PGO-MsVS2010-x64.7z
Stockfish-2.0.1-Preserve Analysis (G) MsVS2010 x64
(181.78 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:30 pm

Prima wrote:In the meant time, I made a successful PGO MsVS2010 compile of Stockfish 2.01PA, version "G" (by gaard, et al). 64-bit only.
Why no 32-bit? :0

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Prima wrote:Thank you Jeremy. I'm definitely going to send you my project/s. It has tormented me day and night. Give me a few hours to reorganize everything.

Prima.
Take your time -- I can't do it until tomorrow, anyway.