syzygy 6 men wdl only

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
berabe

syzygy 6 men wdl only

Post by berabe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:29 pm

greeting :D

Hi, everyone

right now i am using stockfish 6 and syzygy tablebases, i am now using only 5 men of syzygy bases, and want to download the 6 men instead, the problem is i only have 256 gb SSD and it is not empty i have used half of the ssd with another files.

I am planning only to download 6 men WDL without DTZ bases, due to lack of capacity of my hard disk. whether it be done? What if you do not use DTZ files? whether there is a potentially fatal consequences of ignoring the DTZ file?

Thank you.

lucasart

Re: syzygy 6 men wdl only

Post by lucasart » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:56 am

Yes, it's ok to use WDL only. SF will use them for pruning and evaluation. The DTZ are only useful to guarantee progress, in the (extremely rare) situations where SF is not capable of winning a won endgame. From an elo point of view, it has been demonstrated that the entire elo value of syzygy is in WDL, and that DTZ is only for clean play, but has no elo value.
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." -- Linus Torvalds.

berabe

Post by berabe » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:49 pm

thanks a lot for your explanation mr.lucasart, you are the best! is there any 7 men of syzygy yet?

lucasart

Post by lucasart » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:38 pm

No syzygy 7 in the foreseeable future.
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." -- Linus Torvalds.