Which One is the Strongest?

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
Angel

Re: Which One is the Strongest?

Post by Angel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:05 am

which ivanhoe 63 ?
weve tested several betas of them as well as released ones numbering in the twenties

i doubt youve used Houdini in real long time controls or you opinion of it would be very different

to put it plainly its a very good engine but slooooooooooooooooow

approx 15% slower than best ivans and whilst it can push them to equal billing on shorter tc it loses on longer games. in fact in real 20 minute games weve had to change engines to prevent looseing on time

it has the potential to be number one but so did fire bug once and despite its insulting to comrades claim to be number one its about number 6 ...on a good day

we call it the stock engine ..or dodgem cart as it crashes so often :)
Nothing is ever truly lost , just miss placed and awaiting us

yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:17 am

i'm also of the opinion houdini is strongest; if my silver suite blitz results are an indication its probably about 15 elo weaker than rybka 4. it is currently holding its own in a nunn suite tournament time control match.

gaard

Post by gaard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:23 am

Angel wrote:which ivanhoe 63 ?
weve tested several betas of them as well as released ones numbering in the twenties

i doubt youve used Houdini in real long time controls or you opinion of it would be very different

approx 15% slower than best ivans and whilst it can push them to equal billing on shorter tc it loses on longer games. in fact in real 20 minute games weve had to change engines to prevent looseing on time

it has the potential to be number one but so did fire bug once and despite its insulting to comrades claim to be number one its about number 6 ...on a good day

I compiled from the sources with multicore and robbobases enabled. I have only tested at 40/4. I don't have the resources to test at longer time controls nor have I seen a significant number of games played with either of these engines at long time controls on the net, so I can't draw any conclusions there. However, at 40/4, Houdini leads by approximately 20 Elo. I am testing the 4CPU version now and over 100 games I have seen two crashes. In endgames I have no doubt about IvanHoe's superiority with access to TripleBases.

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:48 am

gaard wrote:

I compiled from the sources with multicore and robbobases enabled. I have only tested at 40/4. I don't have the resources to test at longer time controls nor have I seen a significant number of games played with either of these engines at long time controls on the net, so I can't draw any conclusions there. However, at 40/4, Houdini leads by approximately 20 Elo. I am testing the 4CPU version now and over 100 games I have seen two crashes. In endgames I have no doubt about IvanHoe's superiority with access to TripleBases.

you compiled what "exactly " and which ivans do you test vrs it
40-4 is not the best tc to test in but each to there own aqnd strangely different pcs give differnt results
yes if it had bases it wo9uld be stro9nger and if pigs had wings ...

niether has .....and it was fire bugs i refered to as #1 crash engine :)
we do NOT test with robbo bases as they slow engines down :)

gaard

Post by gaard » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:53 am

Angel wrote:
gaard wrote:

you compiled what "exactly " and which ivans do you test vrs it
40-4 is not the best tc to test in but each to there own aqnd strangely different pcs give differnt results
yes if it had bases it wo9uld be stro9nger and if pigs had wings ...

niether has .....and it was fire bugs i refered to as #1 crash engine :)
we do NOT test with robbo bases as they slow engines down :)
I compiled IvanHoe 999963 from the sources available at ippolit.wikispaces.com. I did not test it against other versions of IvanHoe nor have I tested other versions as extensively as IvanHoe 999963 because they were not near as stable.

Mark Young

Post by Mark Young » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:54 am

gaard wrote:
Swaminathan wrote:Ivanhoe, Houdini, Firebird?

I guess it's Houdini?
I have tested all of them, including IvanHoe 63. I have not tested the hundred or so IvanHoe compiles that can be found on the net so I can't speak for those. Between IvanHoe 63, Fire 1.31, and Houdini 1.01, Houdini is the one to beat. More games are needed but from my latest rating list, it could even be stronger then Rybka 4. I am now testing it using 4CPUs to see how it scales...

Here is my rating list, Houdini is the program to beat on my rating list. Fire 1.31 has a bug in the engine parameters, that why it is weak at default settings. Bishop pair at 50 (default) is really 0. The same for Contempt, 64 is really a contempt of 14 (64-50=14.) This is why Fire does not perfer Bishops pairs over a Knight pair at 50, and why if you set contempt below 50 the program will either crash or give really stange eval scores and play. After changing the Bishop Pair setting to 70 or above FIre 1.31 has moved to #2 on my rating list. I am not sure what program will be stronger, Houdini or Fire 1.31 with Bishop pair set above 70) Fire has been closing the gap since I made this change. I am still testing...

1 Houdini 1.01 w32 4_CPU 3282
2 Fire 1.31 w32 3263 (Bishop Pair = 70 or greater) (move on ponderhit = never) all else default.
3 Deep Rybka 4 w32 3249
4 FireBird 1.2 w32 a 3239
5 IvanHoe 9.63b w32 3207
6 Stockfish 1.7.1 JA 3193
7 Rybka 3 32-bit 3160
8 Critter 0.70 32-bit 3145
9 bright-0.5c 3049
10 spark-0.4-win32-mp 3033
11 Komodo32 1.2 JA 2994
12 Zappa Mexico II 2983

Zherkovv

Post by Zherkovv » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:59 am

Swaminathan wrote:Ivanhoe, Houdini, Firebird?

I guess it's Houdini?
I think "Firebird 1.1 w32 is the strongest in the 32bit category with the Dr. Wael Deeb settings!

The Dr. Wael Deeb settings.

Pawn Hash: 64
Pawn Value: 120
Knight Value: 325
Bishop Value: 325
Rook Value: 600
Queen Value: 1170
Bishop Pair Value: 65
Verification Reduction: 8

With these settings FireBird 1.1 w32 ( the strongest Fire engine) is in good condition.
In my personal tests FireBird is approximately 20 elo stronger than Deep Rybka 4 32bit !

I feel a lot of elo is saved for the rental version of Rybka, so Vasik Rajlich did not care much
about this Rybka 4, what a shame.

govert

Post by govert » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:37 am

we've tested several betas of them as well
Hi there Angel.
You write as if you're part of a team. What team would that be?
Maybe this is answered in a different thread and I've missed it.

Me? Well I'm just an engine user who's only true concern is to learn more about everything ;-)

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:29 pm

govert wrote:
we've tested several betas of them as well
Hi there Angel.
You write as if you're part of a team. What team would that be?
Maybe this is answered in a different thread and I've missed it.

Me? Well I'm just an engine user who's only true concern is to learn more about everything ;-)
If you think as several femals and a token as a brother male ,as a team then Angels77 may be seen as a team...or a host .we are often called far worse :o ;)

we share the same true concerns apparently , we do however strongly support open source and come under attack for openly critising a holes who take what is freely given and insult the givers with false claims and hide there plaurgerised source codes as capatalits do...no names mentiones
krani bum joined here yet :lol:

BTO7

Post by BTO7 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Strongest Engines as of today 6-11-10

1. IvanHoe T63B
IvanHoe Mod12c
Houdini 1.01
2. Fire family 1.1 they say is strongest 1.31 is the most robust :)
Igoritt v9
R4
3. R3
DamiusRybaka killer
Robbolito
4. Stockfish

Hope that helps ....least in 32 bit comiles :)

Regards
BT

It feels good to talk freely about all the top engines !!!