Chess for Android 2.5

Discussion about chess-playing software (engines, hosts, opening books, platforms, etc...)
JesseGersenson

Re: Chess for Android 2.5

Post by JesseGersenson » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:29 am

pj+, perhaps the file IS there.

I get the following from your url:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.

pj+

Post by pj+ » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:41 am

I managed to get remote engine working.
Hoidini.png
Speed is good, looks like 300-1000 times more than local engines.
speed.png
Strongest local engine robbolito did not managed to pull a draw in unfair match.
result.png
JesseGersenson wrote:pj+, perhaps the file IS there.
Anyway, it is not robust enough. Seems the last problem i had with it was that while it looks good when typing, it easily drops correct processing
of read-write to socket in gui. I did above test with nc. nc is robust but by itself it is not good solution either. It needs correct responce to quit command,
or there is going to be zombie process on android and zombie engine on server side. If tcl/tk works on android maybe it is best bet.

Swaminathan

Post by Swaminathan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:04 am

I bought Sony Xperia 10, I have installed Uci engines in chess for Android.

How do I select two engines for the matches? It only lets me select one engine.
Fantastic GUI, good effort, Aart!

I wish to see:
Time controls in minutes (3 mins per game, 5 mins per game etc)
Ability to view the board in Full screen (rather than half as it is)
Or are these possible and I didn't see menus properly? If so I'll get back home in evening and check.
Logo made by Ulysses P (Vytron)
Co-Authored with Dann Corbit: Strategic Test Suite

pj+

Post by pj+ » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:04 pm

This client works very well http://www.speedyshare.com/files/270059 ... ndroid-cli
To use it in Chess for Android you need to import shell script with port and ip/hostame ,
where your remote engine is running

AartBik

Post by AartBik » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 am

Swaminathan wrote:I bought Sony Xperia 10, I have installed Uci engines in chess for Android.

How do I select two engines for the matches? It only lets me select one engine.
Fantastic GUI, good effort, Aart!
Congrats on the new device and thanks for your kind words.

To start an engine between two engines:

(1) import a primary UCI engine "as usual" (or if you omit this step, primary engine is built-in Java engine),
(2) start eng-eng match, select #games, and import secondary UCI engine.

Note that I posted a small online manual at http://www.aartbik.com/MISC/amenu.html#chess.

AartBik

Post by AartBik » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:00 am

pj+ wrote:This client works very well http://www.speedyshare.com/files/270059 ... ndroid-cli
To use it in Chess for Android you need to import shell script with port and ip/hostame ,
Cool. It is great to see Houdini run in Chess for Android using a remote server!
Three questions
(1) I assume it works for the "network" version, not the default version (just want to double-check, since your "not sure why it did not work first time" could mean two things)?
(2) are you okay if I put a link to your Android client on my website (probably with some instructions on wrapping this in a script)
(3) is there a hostname:port I can use for some testing?

pj+

Post by pj+ » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:36 am

AartBik wrote:
pj+ wrote: (1) I assume it works for the "network" version, not the default version (just want to double-check, since your "not sure why it did not work first time" could mean two things)?
(2) are you okay if I put a link to your Android client on my website (probably with some instructions on wrapping this in a script)
(3) is there a hostname:port I can use for some testing?
1. Yes, it worked for network version, when I deleted previous version and installed network one, not just reinstalled
2. Yes, however, as on server side I use NetChess server, I think, it is preferable to use NetChess client when/if it appears for android.
3. I will pm you further info.

pj+

Post by pj+ » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:44 am

pj+ wrote: 1. Yes, it worked for network version, when I deleted previous version and installed network one, not just reinstalled.
Perhaps, it is not clear again. When I installed network version first time, it updated previous Chess for Android version and asked for additional permissions.
I am not sure why those permission was not given. Either it was update and no new permissions allowed on update or because I had permBlocker installed and it was blocking new permissions. So I deleted everything, and installed again, and it worked.

AartBik

Post by AartBik » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:40 am

pj+ wrote:This client works very well http://www.speedyshare.com/files/270059 ... ndroid-cli
This is very nice PJ+! I just used this script to run a 64-bit BIkJump engine on my desktop, but play it from Chess for Android using your client utility (yielding over 1000KNs).
Thanks. I have put up a link to your downloads on my website http://www.aartbik.com/MISC/eng.html.
Attachments
bikjump64.png

senorcarbone

Post by senorcarbone » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi everyone and Mr Aartbik :).
You've inspired me to create my own Android UCI-enabled chess application.
I've also nearly completed the development of online games support too.
I've tested several native engines on my device (2.2) without any issues but I seem to have problems with 2.3 devices (emulators in my case).
The engine (any engine I've tested) seems to crash at some point, I guess because the binaries I've found are compiled for 2.2 devices.
At the time I just re-setup the engine which takes an additional 6-7 seconds whenever that happens.
What's your suggestion? (except for creating my own uci engine :) )