Still waiting on Ed

General discussion about computer chess...
hyatt

Re: Still waiting on Ed

Post by hyatt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:17 pm

Rebel wrote:
hyatt wrote: Finally, we changed the reduction (LMR) code very slightly. In version 23.2, I reduced by 1 ply. In 23.3 I reduce by 2 plies, with only one exception, that being that the first move searched is never reduced, to handle the case where I have no hash move, no good captures, and no killers. I did only reduce in the "REMAINING_MOVES" phase but that reduces every move if there are none of the moves mentioned above present. The new version reduces the first move by 1 ply, if it seems to be ok to reduce (not a safe capture or check or a passed pawn push, or other similar ideas you can find if you edit 23.3's "search.c" and search for "reduce."
The red (in 23.3 I reduce by 2 plies) typical Rybka. And a more sophisticated implementation in Rybka BTW.

It's Vas who perfected LMR as first one. That's why Rybka could dominate for so long.
So that's "all you got" to support all the ideas I stole from Rybka to gain 300-400 Elo? That change by itself didn't gain 20. The idea didn't come from Rybka, where the LMR code is _completely_ different, and works in a completely different way. If I copied, why not copy the actual implementation, or at least the complete idea? Simple. Because this didn't come from Rybka. It was a "natural evolution" just as reducing 2-3 plies in null-move...

BTW the LMR stuff was in Shredder, _way_ before Rybka came along.

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Rebel wrote:
hyatt wrote:I consider it to be just as funny that he is against the ICGA sanctions against rybka, while he did not mind signing the original letter of protest sent to the ICGA to jump-start the ICGA investigation.

Some sort of sour grapes, I suppose. But completely without merit, which is what happens when one makes claims without having taken the time to verify them. I assume, at the very least, that his signature on the ICGA complaint is meaningless, if he spent the same amount of time analyzing existing data related to that issue as he spent looking at Crafty's source.
You should not invent motives while I already clearly stated my motive: it's about you and your hatred against Vas while in the meantime profit from his legacy. If you hate, hate honestly.

Glad to know that in addition to your other skills, clairvoyance is right up there and you can read my mind. Question: which, of the two of us, signed the formal complaint to the ICGA? SInce you started the process rolling, what was _your_ motive? I have never met Vas and certainly do not hate him. And meanwhile, I have used no ideas nor code from robo and friends. So I have not profited from Vas, while he has certainly profited from me (he started with a total copy of Crafty, then in later versions still used my rotated bitboard stuff. You need to do more homework.

I'm pretty sure you will hate _this_ honesty.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:22 am

So any improvement to late move reduction in any chess software rightfully belongs to Vas' legacy? LMR is off-limits unless you give Vas credit for the idea of making it better? Are you seriously going to contend that?
Cozzie and Rajlich agreed [I'm in Germany on a cantankerous computer, but it was in one of the two big Strelka threads on Rybka Forum back in 2008) that Tord should get the most credit for "inventing" or popularising LMR, at least in their milieu (I think Uri came up with a similar idea, and it seems much of Shredder's success in the early 2000s came from LMR).

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:03 am

hyatt wrote:
Rebel wrote:
hyatt wrote:I consider it to be just as funny that he is against the ICGA sanctions against rybka, while he did not mind signing the original letter of protest sent to the ICGA to jump-start the ICGA investigation.

Some sort of sour grapes, I suppose. But completely without merit, which is what happens when one makes claims without having taken the time to verify them. I assume, at the very least, that his signature on the ICGA complaint is meaningless, if he spent the same amount of time analyzing existing data related to that issue as he spent looking at Crafty's source.
You should not invent motives while I already clearly stated my motive: it's about you and your hatred against Vas while in the meantime profit from his legacy. If you hate, hate honestly.

Glad to know that in addition to your other skills, clairvoyance is right up there and you can read my mind. Question: which, of the two of us, signed the formal complaint to the ICGA? SInce you started the process rolling, what was _your_ motive? I have never met Vas and certainly do not hate him. And meanwhile, I have used no ideas nor code from robo and friends. So I have not profited from Vas, while he has certainly profited from me (he started with a total copy of Crafty, then in later versions still used my rotated bitboard stuff. You need to do more homework.

I'm pretty sure you will hate _this_ honesty.
We all know about your hatred and your murdering fantasies since 1998.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... b4278db711

-----------------

hyperreal-anon-remailer <nob...@sind.hyperreal.art.pl> wrote:

: On 8 May 1998 13:39:08 GMT Robert Hyatt <hy...@crafty.cis.uab.edu> wrote:

:>Anonymous <nob...@REPLAY.COM> wrote:

:>: TheDoDo says:
:>
:>: Robert Hyatt thinks so. What do you think?
:>
:>I assume you can produce a direct quote from me that suggests this?
:>That would be a quote with the name "Allen Thompson" directly mentioned,
:>of course.

: TheDoDo says:

: BTW, for those who don't know, Robert Hyatt's lovely state, Alabama,
: just executed Allen Thompson in the electric chair. His eyes melted
: out of their sockets and dripped onto his chest. Bob thinks Allen's
: body should be turned into gasoline now.

Yes... after he brutally raped a young girl, and then *tortured* her
viciously until she died. No simple bullet in the brain from this
"person", we are talking about *torturing* someone so that they died
screaming.

I'd suspect his family would take issue with the gasoline part, and
would much prefer to grind him up and use him for lawn fertilizer.
And I suspect they'd much have preferred for the state to tie his hands
to a northbound bus, and his feet to a southbound bus, and let them take
off *slowly*. But since it wasn't *my* child that was killed in such a
terrible way, I can only imagine how they felt.

But I'd gladly have been one of the bus drivers...

And if you had stepped in front of *my* bus... :) two problems with
one bus eliminated. :)

--
Robert Hyatt Computer and Information Sciences
hy...@cis.uab.edu University of Alabama at Birmingham
(205) 934-2213 115A Campbell Hall, UAB Station
(205) 934-5473 FAX Birmingham, AL 35294-1170

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:18 am

Jeremy Bernstein wrote:I can understand why one might conclude that Bob had a chip on his shoulder about Rybka. But I think that 'hate' is a vast overstatement, and this entire line of "argument" is really below your reputation.
I am aware of it and am done.

zwegner

Post by zwegner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:47 pm

BB+ wrote:The Dutch seem to keep me busy, as I see elsewhere that Zappa is now also hearsayed to be Fruit-ish (except the king safety)...
Have fun! Let me know if you have any questions :)

(of course Zappa is very different from Fruit...)

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Rebel wrote:
Jeremy Bernstein wrote:I can understand why one might conclude that Bob had a chip on his shoulder about Rybka. But I think that 'hate' is a vast overstatement, and this entire line of "argument" is really below your reputation.

You are done in more ways than one. You make a completely false statement, one that was _proven_ to be false, then you bring up something ancillary to the issue (hate). And you end up looking like a total jackass. All for what purpose?

Sad, very sad.

And actually, you were "done" before you started, in this particular thread...

Old age doesn't seem to agree with you well at all. Fortunately not _all_ of us "age poorly"..

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 pm

hyatt wrote:
Rebel wrote:

You are done in more ways than one. You make a completely false statement, one that was _proven_ to be false, then you bring up something ancillary to the issue (hate). And you end up looking like a total jackass. All for what purpose?

Sad, very sad.

And actually, you were "done" before you started, in this particular thread...

Old age doesn't seem to agree with you well at all. Fortunately not _all_ of us "age poorly"..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I still have some comments to make but as it seems the Rybka forum is the more appropiate place on the Rybka vs ICGA issue.

See you there, I am sure :roll:

hyatt

Post by hyatt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 pm

If you plan on continuing to post false statements, you can bet on it. I still notice no retraction, just "running and hiding".

Seems adultish, I guess.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:28 am

hyatt wrote:If you plan on continuing to post false statements, you can bet on it. I still notice no retraction, just "running and hiding".

Seems adultish, I guess.
No false statements made. Nothing to retract. Since the beginning of CC times chess programmers talk, by phone, letters, fax etc. Nowadays by email, MSN, fora, chat on chess servers. As such Idea's spread and this always has been the no.1 reason for general progress, talking chess programmers sharing their thoughts. And as a chess programmer when you hear a new idea in many cases you don't know the origin, you receive the information from second, third, fourth, fifth etc. hand.

As such (and especially after the release of the Strelka sources which revealed the secrets of Rybka 1.0 beta) it is impossible for you to judge if the origin of idea's you heard (first hand ....fifth hand....) and implemented do not origin from Strelka (=Rybka). Or it must be you never chat, email or participate in technical discussion of computer chess.

They are there, consciously or unconsciously. I guess they are even in mine although I haven't touched the stuff since years. It's the way this little world operates and has operated since the beginning of CC times. And you know it.

It has surprised me you made such a big deal about my initial teasing remark to remove all Rybka code from Crafty. You had to blow it up.

Why?