Vas Is Answering Questions At the Rybka Forum

General discussion about computer chess...
Sean Evans

Vas Is Answering Questions At the Rybka Forum

Post by Sean Evans » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:06 pm

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=23957

By Vasik Rajlich Date 2012-01-08 15:08

I want to give a really big thanks to Ed Schroder, Soren Riis, Chris Whittington, Nelson Hernandez, Nick Carlin, Jeroen Noomen and Alan Sassler for their superb efforts in defending me against the accusations that I have broken ICGA tournament rules. Soren did a great job detailing the shenanigans pulled during the ICGA's investigation, from stacking the jury to premature public accusations to a comprehensive fabrication of evidence.

I also appreciate the tenacity of Chris Whittington and especially Ed Schroder in digging through the mountains of documents and answering them point by point.

Finally, I greatly appreciate the support that I have received from countless others. This support has been touching and uplifting and I really appreciate it. Thanks guys!

In other news, I'm working on Rybka. Rybka 5 will be ready sometime this year and the remote Rybka renting will be launched sometime after that. We'll make announcements on our web site and in our forum when we have more information. It should be a fun year.

Best wishes to everyone for a great 2012!

Vas

thorstenczub

Re: Vas Is Answering Questions At the Rybka Forum

Post by thorstenczub » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:19 pm

why isn't he answering the question why he betrayed his customers ?

JcMaTe

Post by JcMaTe » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I Haven't read any answer from him yet .. may be one of his puppet ( Ed ) will answer for him later

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:06 pm

JcMaTe wrote:I Haven't read any answer from him yet .. may be one of his puppet ( Ed ) will answer for him later

Sorry, I should have used the subject "Vas Is NOT Answering....."

BB+

Post by BB+ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 am

Regarding Strelka/IPPOLIT: as the author(s) seem to have typed their own source code (or code to generate this), how are they not "original" under your definition? Do these Rybka versions [the ones that were cloned] have any additional creative content beyond the source code?

Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I find this post truly amazing http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... pid=390718
> Regarding Strelka/IPPOLIT: as the author(s) seem to have typed their own source code (or code to generate this), how are they not "original" under your definition?

I doubt that all of that code was typed by hand. If it was, then sure, it's "original at the source code level".

> Do these Rybka versions [the ones that were cloned] have any additional creative content beyond the source code?

Lots of brilliant ideas! :smile:

Vas
I guess he is saying that because he is claiming he typed the fruit code into rybka so it is original by his definition.
just take a harry potter novel type it up yourself and you can sell it!

thorstenczub

Post by thorstenczub » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 pm

amazing indeed.

Prima

Post by Prima » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:34 am

And here's YET another response that, in itself, is very revealing: http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... pid=390718
I always like to try to learn things from a fundamental point of view. For example at the moment I am studying poker. For me this means learning basic equilibria in "endgame" situations (ie. short stacks, short handed) and then expanding from there. Most players are quite different. They like to just dive in and go from there.

Computer chess is really quite a unique beast though. There aren't that many general principles and it's probably not worth it to spend too much time on them. If I was starting from scratch today, I'd probably take Stockfish or Robbolito and just pick them apart.

Vas

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

According to Vas' malicious & unsubstantiated claims, RobboLito / IPPOLIT was/is a Rybka 3 clone. Under the supposition of starting from scratch, why want to "pick RobboLito apart" if it bears same semblance to Rybka 3?...or as he puts it "a clone of Rybka 3"? Why not pick Stockfish or Rybka 3 apart, when starting from scratch?

This statement inadvertently proves IPPOLIT / RobboLito is NOT a Rybka 3 clone. Additionally, Rybka/Vas has NOT contributed to development of Stockfish, IPPOLIT, RobboLito, IvanHoe, and/or to the computer chess community, either directly or indirectly, as the Rybka fan-boys would like people to believe.

A Freudian-slip "confession", between the lines, on both ends.

Jeremy Bernstein
Site Admin

Post by Jeremy Bernstein » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:11 am

Prima wrote:And here's YET another response that, in itself, is very revealing: http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... pid=390718
I always like to try to learn things from a fundamental point of view. For example at the moment I am studying poker. For me this means learning basic equilibria in "endgame" situations (ie. short stacks, short handed) and then expanding from there. Most players are quite different. They like to just dive in and go from there.

Computer chess is really quite a unique beast though. There aren't that many general principles and it's probably not worth it to spend too much time on them. If I was starting from scratch today, I'd probably take Stockfish or Robbolito and just pick them apart.

Vas
According to Vas' malicious & unsubstantiated claims, RobboLito / IPPOLIT was/is a Rybka 3 clone. Under the supposition of starting from scratch, why want to "pick RobboLito apart" if it bears same semblance to Rybka 3?...or as he puts it "a clone of Rybka 3"? Why not pick Stockfish or Rybka 3 apart, when starting from scratch?

This statement inadvertently proves IPPOLIT / RobboLito is NOT a Rybka 3 clone. Additionally, Rybka/Vas has NOT contributed to development of Stockfish, IPPOLIT, RobboLito, IvanHoe, and/or to the computer chess community, either directly or indirectly, as the Rybka fan-boys would like people to believe.

A Freudian-slip "confession", between the lines, on both ends.
I read this differently, FWIW. If he were starting from scratch, as in if he were some newbie just getting into chess engine programming.

BB+

Post by BB+ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 am

If he were starting from scratch, as in if he were some newbie just getting into chess engine programming.
One might ask how much VR agrees with Riis in the latter's "How to succeed without ever really trying" (or whatever that section in Part 2 was called). VR might indeed be against the reverse engineering of Rybka, but seems a bit more casual about using the info derived therefrom.